Toronto Famous Sights – Part 2

Are you guys ready for Part 2 of our Toronto Famous Sights Seriers? We know we are!

Distillery Historic District

The Distillery District opened in 2003 and extends over 52000 sq. meters and includes over 10 streets and more than 40 buildings which belonged to the Gooderham and Worts Distillery which was founded in 1832 and operated until 1990 when all of its operations were shut down and the area was de-industrialized. The area was famous in the 90s as one of the main film locations in Canada. There are a lot of restaurants, cafes, theatres, shops and galleries in the district. Numerous events (concerts, exhibitions, festivals, etc.) are organized all year round.

Address: 55 Mill Street

Admission: free; there are walking (around $20) and segway tours ($40 and 70$) organized for visitors.


Yonge Street

Yonge Street is one of the main streets in Toronto. It is located between Lake Simcoe and Lake Ontario. Being a part of Highway 11 (one of the longest highways in Ontario) in the past, it was sometimes named as the longest street in the world because it was considered to be nearly 1900 km long. The construction of the street began in the late 18th century and since then it has undergone various remodeling. Street performances are organized along the street and a lot of different attractions are located in or near Yonge Street. The street presents the traditional gathering place for public celebrations.

High Park

The largest park in Toronto occupies the area of 399 acres and features different sporting (baseball, softball and soccer fields, tennis courts, outdoor swimming pool/ice skating rink in winter, etc.), educational and cultural facilities, playgrounds, a zoo and gardens. There are also 18 designated picnic areas around the park. The park originates from 1836 when it was a private property of famous architect John George Howard. High Park is hilly, with two ravines extending through the whole park.

Address: 1873 Bloor Street West

Admission: free; groups of 25 people or more have to pay for a permit (around $50) to organize a picnic.


Kensington Market

Kensington Market is a neighborhood in Toronto with many shops and cafes and it is a home for many artists and writers. It was founded at the beginning of the 20th century and it was also known as “the Jewish Market” because many Jewish immigrants lived there and had their shops in the neighborhood. Many food stores offer a great variety of fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and other products. Kensington Market Festival of Lights is organized every year in December when fire breathers, giant puppets, stilt walkers and many others participate in a parade around the neighborhood.

Address: Kensington Market is bordered by Dundas Street, Bathurst Street, College Street and Spadina Avenue.


Yonge-Dundas Square

Opened in November 2002, Yonge-Dundas public square in Toronto is located at the intersection of Dundas Street and Yonge Street and was constructed as a part of a downtown revitalization project. The square was designed by architects Brown and Storey and it is slightly inclined in order to resemble a theatrical stage. Fountains with 600 water jets are animated and operate 24 hours a day, from April to October. It is also famous for a great number of commercial billboards located around the square. Various events like concerts, handcraft fairs, theatrical plays and other public events are organized all year long. Yonge-Dundas Square attracts more than 52 million visitors annually.


George R. Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art

The Gardiner Museum is entirely dedicated to ceramic art and houses over 3000 pieces from different periods and corners of the globe. It was opened in 1984 by George and Helen Gardiner and underwent an expansion from 2004 to 2006. The museum has a clay studio which organizes various clay classes and lectures where students learn how to make clay sculptures. Besides regular exhibitions, the museum features a number of temporary special exhibitions. The Gail Brooker Ceramic Research Library is a part of the museum dedicated to the research of ceramics in Canada.

Address: 111 Queen’s Park

Working hours: every day, 10am – 6pm (until 9pm on Friday and 5pm on Saturday and Sunday)

Admission: $12 adult ticket, $8 seniors. $6 students, half-price on Fridays from 4pm to 9pm


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *